Sunday, February 28, 2010

Does anyone know where to get a good hair brush?

I keep buying different brushes but they all seem to split the ends of my hair after several uses. I have very thin, fine hair and am trying to grow it out. I don't want to keep getting trims to get rid of all my split ends. Any suggestions?Does anyone know where to get a good hair brush?
Go with a natural boar hair bristle brush for dry hair styling, and a detangling brush for wet or damp hair. If you go somewhere like Sally Beauty, an Aveda shop, or a Trade Secret or Regis Salon, you should be able to get advice about the type of brush you need from either a stylist or someone who works there. Just make sure that you are not using a 'brushy' brush on wet hair - that might be what is breaking the ends. You should use a comb or detangling brush on wet hair.





Good luck!Does anyone know where to get a good hair brush?
The only advice I can give you is to look on the web for some of the higher-end, more expensive hairbrushes. I spent years looking for a decent brush that could deal with my fine, easily tangled but very thick hair without feeling like it was taking all the skin off my head. By the time I could ';break in'; a drugstore brush to where it didn't hurt to use it, the handle would snap off in my hand. :o( (Did I mention my hair is *really* thick???)





Anyway, I finally found a good brush last year on a trip overseas, at what we in the US would probably call an apothecary shop. I spent about $35 US for it, but it was well worth it. It's a mixture of boar bristle and plastic, with a solid wood base and handle.





On a side note, to help with split ends try using a thick, restorative conditioner (for me, Aussie 3 Minute Miracle has worked well), but only on the last 3-4 inches of the hair. Fine hair gets ';gooped up'; really easily, so you don't need it on the rest of you hair, but a bit on the ends will help.





Good luck!
Hmm... maybe you should go to a salon and ask them.
When WAS your last trim? Are you using too much heat? Do you use a thermal heat protection mist? Try boar bristle brushes when smoothing hair. I have a feeling it is not the brush- it is one or several of the things above. Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment